UPMC, which has not had a single case of Covid-19 among its 30 senior communities,
Few if any reports about such effective control of COVID in nursing homes from other parts of the country have been publicized; UPMC is reaching out to other senior-living facilities to provide best practices to protect vulnerable populations in nursing home and senior centers.
How Pittsburgh’s UPMC has Kept Covid-19 Out of its Senior Communities
- Enhanced screening of anyone entering their facilities, not just for temperature
- Patients marked were put into isolation until Covid-19 could be ruled out
- Precautions for employees take including gowns, gloves and masks.
- Communal dining is out at the facilities.
- One of the biggest: Ban on visitors at the senior living facilities by early March
Pittsburgh Business Journal: How UPMC has kept Covid
“We’ve adjusted and added to these precautions as we’ve learned more” —Dr. David Nace, chief medical officer of UPMC Senior Communities